Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Backlogged Gaming: Assassin's Creed

I supposed a slight explanation is in order as to what this is. Over the past probably ten years, I've really fallen behind on my games... and DVDs but that's another story. Anyhow I was really addicted to MMOs, I basicly always had to be playing one and I felt that if I wasn't constantly playing them, then the monthly fee was a waste. During that time, I still bought a lot of things (games included) that I was interested in. Even though I didn't really have the time to play them. Well now I'm working my way through a mountain of games that I've piled up and since not all of them are going to be worth doing a video review for, I still want to do something to share my opinion on them.

That brings us to the first game I'm going to cover in Backlogged Gaming which is Assassin's Creed. I remember this game being heavily hyped prior to it's released but I didn't really pay attention to what anyone thought after it was released and I'm realizing... maybe I should have.

The game is horribly repetitive. With the exception of the beginning and the very end. Every town you're going to be running around and climbing view points so you can see the map. That alone would not be bad but you also basicly have to go around saving citizens over and over if you want to max out your health bar. And when gathering information on assassination targets, there is very little diversity. You go around and either pick pocket, eavesdrop, or beat answers out of people. There are also Informants who will give you timed challenges to complete for info but that aren't required or even needed (Not even for achievements). When you realize there are only 9 targets and you have to do that for each one, you realize that running around doing meaningless bullcrap consists of the majority of the game.

The story doesn't help because once again aside from the beginning and the end, there isn't much of one. The only real plot point you find out from the assassinations that isn't also explained at the end is that... gasp... your targets are all Templars! The worst thing about this whole thing is that the plot actually starts to get really interesting at the very end and then the game basicly goes "What's that? You're enjoying it now? YOU'RE DONE!".

The game has a few things going for it. The combat is kind of enjoyable, once you get used to it. The game is also very easy to learn. Because it gives you new abilities slowly as you begin to need them and always takes the time to explain how to do them. The way it's paced is very good because by the time you get to the next ability, you've all but mastered the previous ones. The game is also pretty easy to get all but the last 150 achievement points out of. Because with the exception of the flags and templars, most the achievements you'll get naturally just from playing through the game. However flags and templars are annoying as heck to track down even with a map so if you're like me, you'll probably end up with a score of about 835 in the game.

Now trying to decide whether to recommend this game or not is actually kind of hard. I'd like to say you're better off just skipping to the sequel because having started it already, Assassin's Creed II is a much better game and has an opening sequence that basicly tells you everything that happened in the first game. However the game also basicly assumes you played the first game  and doesn't explain the combat as well, so you'd still benefit from playing the first game first.

Final Score: 6/10 - Not a horrible game, but not that great either. I'd suggest jumping straight to the sequel if you're willing to deal with a harder learning curve on the game mechanics.

No comments:

Post a Comment