Friday, August 6, 2010

Blog 8-6-10: Recent Movies

So in the past month or so I've seen about 4 movies. So I figured even though I'm never going to do a full video style review of any of them I midaswell share my thoughts on them.


First up is Toy Story 3. Which I have a funny story to go along with it. I actually watched Toy Story 1 and 2 for the first time in the same week that I saw Toy Story 3. I went out and rented them, because when Toy Story 1 originally came out I was in my whole "American Cartoons suck! Only anime is good!" phase.

Now maybe it would have helped if I was younger when I saw them but I didn't really see anything all that special about Toy Story 1 and 2 that had everyone praising the series so much. Aside from a cringe moment where Woody was almost run over by a truck, not much really got my attention with the first movie and the only thing that particular made me feel like the 2nd one was 100% worth the time I was spending watching them was that Zurg is freaking awesome! He's such a cliche villain character but yet at the same time so awesome and it just irritates me to no end that he's only playable in the PS3 version of the Toy Story 3 game.

But Toy Story 3 on the other hand, that was well worth the price of admission. I can't quite put my finger on what it was (Maybe the existance of an actual villain) but that movie had my full attention the entire time. I guess it might be because they were faced with a very real threat this time, rather then just making wild guesses about what might happen to them. I have no real intention of adding 1 or 2 to my DVD collection, but when 3 comes out I may very well get the DVD.

A few weeks later I saw a nice little gem that a lot of people seemed to be underestimating called Despicable Me. Anyone who knows me, probably knows deep down that I love villains. My entire childhood I was the weird kid who always rooted for the bad guys in cartoons. So knowing they were making a movie where the main character is a super villain? If I were still a kid I would have felt this movie was tailor made for me and even as an adult this movie did not let me down.

The thing that was really great about Despicable Me is that nothing feels unnaturally put together. They manage to make a story about a villain adopting a group of kids not come off as completely stupid or unrealistic. And the best thing, the very best thing about this movie, though I won't go into specifics since that would ruin it for anyone who hasn't seen it. Is the fact that even though the story makes you think he would, Gru does not cop out and become a good guy because of the kids. A lot of people were like "Oh it's gonna be this cliche story where the girls make him realize he has a heart of gold and become a hero." and no, that's not what happens.

The third movie I saw recently was Predators. I had intended to see it anyhow but I ended up going to see it when I did because... we lost power and it was late so there was nothing much else to do aside from sit in the dark. But I was definately glad that I did. Angry Joe already said that it wasn't as good as the original but it was better then the second movie... and I think I can agree with that. It definately was miles better then those crappy Alien vs Predator movies we got in recent years.

While Predators did take some ideas from the first movie, being in a jungle and all. I think it's main strengths were in it's differences, rather then a band of army guys who all know each other. We get a band of misfits from various places and walks of life, though all of them are deadly "warriors". In a way it kinda reminds me of the groups you would see in a Zombie movie... if all of them knew how to defend themselves. It kinda sucks that my favorite character was the first to die though. All in all I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in the Predator franchise or even horror movies (Though this is more action) to help wash out the taste of some of the truly horrible remakes we've gotten lately.

Last movie I saw oh so recently was Sorcerer's Apprentice and I wanna start out by saying. I really don't get all the Nicholas Cage hate. Granted I don't watch a lot of Nicholas Cage movies but the only movie I've seen him in that was really bad was Ghost Rider and I'm starting to think maybe it's not because he's a terrible actor but maybe he just gets miscast a lot. He did very well as Big Daddy in Kickass and as Balthazar in this, but as Johnny Blaze he just sucked. I don't know if it's maybe he's good at doing less emotion displaying characters or if the director for Ghost Rider just sucked. I mean plenty of people love Natalie Portman even though they think she sucked in Star Wars but they completely blame that on George Lucas. Or perhaps they're just thinking with the wrong head when it comes to her.

Anyhow, so the Sorcerer's Apprentice is actually a rather cliche story in which the young nerdy guy becomes the hero and gets the girl. I really wish things were that simple for all us nerds, though replace hero with villain. But inspite of how cliche the story is I really enjoyed it. I think this is largely due to one major factor, it's a movie largely centered around magic that isn't about a little boy (I hate Harry Potter). It also doesn't hurt that their are some nice references to things like Fantasia and Star Wars. But all in all, I'd say it was a great movie, just don't expect anything ground breaking from it and you probably will too.

So those are my thoughts on some of the more recent movies. Suffice to say I liked all 4 and that's largely because I am very picky about what I see in theaters. That's why you don't see me ranting about how much I hated Last Airbender or something like that because I avoided it like the plague. Maybe I should change that though, I might lose some nerd creds for not raging enough.

Until next time everyone...

No comments:

Post a Comment