Monday, August 29, 2011

The Fantasy vs Reality Rant

I swear this is relevant to what I'll be talking about...
I'm gonna talk about something that has been getting on my nerves a bit lately. That is people that can't distinguish fantasy from reality. You'd think I'm talking about overprotective parents or something like that but I'm not. I'm talking about fellow gamers and nerds that make really stupid comments. When it comes to violence they have no problem but I hear some really stupid shit when it involves sexuality...

What am I talking about. Well to start off, let's talk about Lollipop Chainsaw for a moment. On the official trailer over on youtube I saw someone left a particularly stupid comment saying "Oh great a game for perverts and pedophiles". This goes a bit away from the main topic, but this really pisses me off because I have seen the word pedophile been thrown around way too much lately. For starters people who say stuff like this don't even know what a pedophile is. Pedophiles are attracted to prepubescent children, not teenagers. You can argue the morality of either one of them. But they are clearly not the same thing and really should never be lumped together.

For starters, as much as we Americans like to believe otherwise. We are not always the global standard for what is right or wrong. Many countries have age of consent laws lower then 18, so calling people who happen to find a teenager attractive a pedophile is retarded. The real fun thing is that doing so also ignores that not even every state in the US has an age of consent of 18. In fact the state I live in has an age of consent of 16. Just in case anyone was wondering, not that it matters to me since girls my own age don't even give me a time of day let alone someone that young.

But to finish this point off and I'll use fictional characters as an example to tie it back into my main topic. Is it really logical to equate someone who likes the cheerleader from Lollipop Chainsaw with someone who likes Gwen Tennyson from Ben 10?

Do I really need to point out why this is different?
Now that we got that out of the way. I think most people tend to agree that exploiting a teenager for sex appeal is wrong and while I think the response to most of the mess with Miley Cyrus was people overreacting, I generally agree. When it's a real person.

You might be wondering, why am I bringing this up? Well two fairly well known reviewers on the internet are part of it. They certainly aren't the only ones guilty of this but they're the easiest people for me to reference. Who am I talking about? Linkara and Spoony. Spoony because of his bizarre obsession with pointing out that Rikku from Final Fantasy X and X-2 is a teenager, which ignores both that Japan has a lower age of consent then us and that she's not real.

Linkara I mention because of his complaints concerning comic characters, a particular example being when he complained about an up skirt shot of Miss Martian on account of the fact that she was a teenager. Yeah, she might be a teenager. But you know what else? She's green, not human, and not real!

Now don't think I'm doing this to rag on either of them, because I respect both of them. Heck Linkara is probably one of my bigger inspirations. But crap like this just irritates me to no end. Who cares that a fictional character is under the age of 18? Can we please get back to worrying about protecting the real kids and teenagers of the world? You know, the ones who can actually be hurt. I think that's probably more important.

And before anyone even thinks of saying something stupid. Let me put this real simple, trying to claim someone who fantasizes about an underage fictional character is going to try to get the real thing is as stupid of an argument as the Jack Thompsons of the world trying to say video games cause people to become violent. It's a load of bull and anyone with any common sense knows it.

When it comes down to it, there is really one major problem with trying to even say it's the same. Ya know, aside from cartoon and video game characters looking next to nothing like real people. The fact is, the age of a character is determined by one thing. Whatever the writer said it is. If the writer had decided to say the characters were 18, there would be no ground to stand on for the complainers. Plus such complaints just become infinitely stupid when you factor in the idea of humanoid characters that either don't age or don't age in the same way that a human does. Things such as Androids, Demons, and Aliens would be very unlikely to have the same rate of development as humans. Age of consent exists with the knowledge that we are the only sentient beings on the planet.

For those wondering about why I'm bringing this up. You'll probably realize why when I get around to doing my top 15 video game babes video, because of one or two of my choices on there. But to wrap things up, I'll leave you with an image that I think best explains why worrying about the age of a fictional character is stupid.


No comments:

Post a Comment