Sunday, April 1, 2012

Backlogged Gaming: Street Fighter X Tekken

Note: Backlogged Gaming is likely to be in article format for the foreseeable future so that I have more time to focus on other projects.

Street Fighter X Tekken, Capcom's entry into a much hyped crossover they're doing with Namco. Sometime next year Tekken X Street Fighter is supposed to be released and while that will play like Tekken. This game plays like Street Fighter. But is it any good? Read on to find out.



Now I have to admit that I'm not much into competitive multiplayer and people may think that's odd since many consider that the backbone of fighting games. But I've been a fighting game fan since the 90s and me personally, I mainly stick to the arcade modes and playing with my friends. So I am a fighting game fan but I'm not your typical fighting game fan.

I will say that Street Fighter X Tekken does a very good job at making the story seem exciting, at least at first. Far more then Capcom's previous crossover fighters did anyhow since for once there is a story that's actually more then just hinted at. However the story is hampered by one major thing, the game is a tag team fighter and if you want to see any story other then generic narration, you have to use one of the predetermined teams. At least for me this was very annoying because almost all my favorite characters were paired with someone I couldn't stand. My favorite character being Cammy is paired with Chun Li who is one of my least favorites. I think the only default Street Fighter team I really like is Bison and Juri. It had a worse story but I liked it so much better in Marvel vs Capcom 3 where you just got an ending for whoever KOed the boss.

The gameplay is solid but honestly it doesn't really do much to differentiate itself from Street Fighter IV. That's what it really feels like Street Fighter IV with tag mode and Tekken characters. Obviously there are little tricks you can do here and there that come specifically as a result of having a tag partner but aside from those the only thing that really stands out are the gems and personally I can't stand the gems. They remind me a bit of the cards from the Heroes vs Heralds mode of Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 except they're in every mode and they're required, you have no way to disable them. Personally dealing with them bothers me because equipment is not something I ever really wanted to deal with in a fighting game and that's what the gems remind me of. If I wanted to deal with equipment I'd be playing Dynasty Warriors or an RPG, not a fighting game.

Yes I know the stories about Poison. Don't Care!
 The real problems about this game however stem from issues Capcom has handled very poorly. The 360 version is missing the ability for to people to team up on the same console and play online. Capcom has flipped flopped multiple times on their excuse for why that is missing. First it was blamed on the X-Box Live structure even though other games didn't have that issue, then they said it was never meant to be in the 360 version in the first place and it was a misprint that it was mentioned in the manual, THEN they said they just didn't have time to get it working.

The online while I don't really care much about it suffers from sound issues the last time I checked. I won't even get started on the on disc DLC stuff because really, that's just beating a dead horse at this point. But I will say I disagree with it and just because it is within your rights to do something, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Honestly when it comes down to it I mainly got this game for two reasons. So one of my friends would have a boosting partner for achievements and because Poison was in it (Still mad they screwed up her bangs). I went in with pretty low expectations and was temporarily impressed before I quickly became fairly disinterested. The game has a fairly good presentation, a great soundtrack, and one of the most awesome video game openings in recent memory. But in the end I feel the game doesn't really give me much reason to bother playing it over Super Street Fighter IV.

Final Score: 6/10

2 comments:

  1. Increase the arcade difficulty and play the missions. When you are forced to learn tne mechanics you'll see that the gameplay is really good and fun.

    Also Chun-li and Cammy make much more sense than Juri-Bison (storywise). Chun-li and Cammy were presented fighting together in some of the SF4 short teaser animes, intro to SSF4, and were tag partners in Namco x Capcom. So their team up is a bit expected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah as a team they make more sense but as characters I have to use, I hate the team. I just don't like playing as Chun Li and there are a lot of default teams that I have this issue with.

      Delete