Saturday, October 4, 2014

The Backlog - The Powerpuff Girls: Defenders of Townsville



I have to admit, I loved watching The Powerpuff Girls when it originally aired on TV. But there aren't any video games I remember from when it was still on TV. Odd then that in 2014 they would get a game released on Steam of the Metroidvania genre.

Of course this isn't just a coincidence. There was recently an anniversary special that was done in a completely new art style and while I can't say that I've seen it... when I look at it's art style represented here in the game...


Can't say I feel like I missed much. It just looks... wrong. Thankfully the game includes to option to set the visuals to classic mode to look like the show as it was in the 90s and early 2000s. Also all the voice actors for the girls and Mojo Jojo are back to reprise their roles.

But is it good? That's what you have to be wondering right? Well, mostly. It depends on what you really want out of the game. As I mentioned it is a Metroidvania game meaning there is a lot of flying around, bashing the same enemies repeatedly, and searching for power ups. The game's story centers on the fact that Mojo Jojo after unleashing an army of robots on Townsville used a device on the girls to make them forget how to use their powers, causing them to plummet to the ground and into a series of caverns below Townsville.

Buttercup even starts out the game by saying something along the lines of "I'm gonna punch Mojo Jojo when I find him, if I could remember how to punch...". But you regain punch and flight in less then 5 minutes and from there the game takes off. The mechanics are fairly simplistic and most of the puzzles are really easy to figure out. Plus the game is on the short side. But I never found myself bored in the time I spent with it.

I think the biggest hurdle for most people to get over when it comes to this game will be whether or not they want to put up with Mojo Jojo being the only villain from the show present. None of the other villains make an appearance and Mojo's henchmen are basically nothing but robots that have virtually no form to their shape. Many of them almost look like they're just a bunch of floating gears. Luckily this doesn't detract from the gameplay much however and with most of the combat being airborne, having the enemies in humanoid shapes would just make them bigger targets.

All in all, I enjoyed it. Sure a more detailed game with more villains would have been nice but this was released as a very low budget title and for the 3-4 hours it takes to complete, it's certainly not bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment