Thursday, January 21, 2016

Why I play as female characters

This is gonna be a weird one and I'm not making a youtube video about it because the things I'm about to say, frankly I don't want to say out loud for various reasons since I don't live alone and this isn't something I really tell people about. Also if anyone wants to comment on this, it's moderated here.

So let me start out by saying I'm talking about games where you create your own character, not ones where a character is premade. (IE something like Mass Effect not Tomb Raider). Now obviously there are people out there who make female characters because they want eye candy to look at when they are playing. I am not one of those people.

For me in games where I make my own character, that character is like an extension of myself. An atttachment I don't have in games where the main character is predetermined regardless of their gender. But with character creation, generally I view them as an extension of myself except in cases where I make a character who is particularly goofy, just a flat out joke, or I'm replaying the game specifically for achievements that involve decisions I would not normally make.

The great thing about video games, all of them really, but for the subject of this post ones where you make your own character. Is you don't have to be anything like you are in real life. You get to be something great like a warrior, a wizard, etc. But more then just power, you can be a completely different identity if you want to. Which is why a lot of times, I play as a girl. Sometimes it's nice to imagine what it would be like to be a pretty woman. I mean for starters... women have way more interesting fashion options then men. Also as a guy who isn't particularly buff... there are lots of times when I just find female characters more relatable then the mountain of muscles male heroes tend to be.

And while this particular fascination of mine isn't really just restricted to video games, I should point out that no, I'm not trans. I don't feel uncomfortable in my own skin in any way. Really the closest label I've found for my mindset is bigender but I don't think that's even accurate. But let's just say if I had the curse Ranma has in Ranma 1/2, I probably wouldn't even be remotely bothered by it.

If you don't get the reference. Ranma turns into a girl when splashed with cold water.

Anyhow, that's really all I can think of to share on the subject at the moment. So, thanks for reading anyone who actually reads this.

No comments:

Post a Comment